Free Cell Phone Providers in Texas
LOOKING FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?
Owning a cell phone provides safety and convenience. A cell phone allows you to reach almost anyone at anytime, from potential employers to family members. In the modern world, cell phones have become a necessity, especially with the rapidly diminishing prevalence of home and pay phones. As essential as a cell phone may be, not everyone can afford a cell phone bill. For this reason, the state of Texas has a variety of cell phone providers that offer free cell phones based on financial need.
If financial need can be proven, you may be eligible to receive a cell phone free of charge. Eligibility requires the overall household income to be no more than 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Line.
You are automatically eligible if you participate in any of the following programs:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA or Section 8)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP)
- Supplementary Security Income (SSI)
- Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP)
- National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Supplementary Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Food Distribution Programs (Native American reservations only)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
In Texas, there are many free cell phone providers to choose from. Each has a different cell phone plan.
Access Wireless is a cell phone provider administered through i-wireless (not to be confused with iWireless or i-Wireless, which are both free cell phone providers that are unavailable in Texas). Access Wireless uses nationwide coverage through the Sprint network.
Through Access Wireless, the free mobile phone program includes:
- A free Access Wireless cell phone
- Unlimited texting
- 250 phone call minutes per month
- Free long distance calls (domestic only)
- Voicemail, Call Waiting, and Caller ID
- Free membership with the Access Wireless Exclusive Reward Program
More services may be added for a fee.
You are eligible for a free cell phone under Access Wireless if your total household income is 150 percent or below the Federal Poverty Line or participate in financial need-based government assistance.
Assurance Wireless is a free cell phone provider that is available in most of the United States, including Texas.
When enrolled in Assurance Wireless’s free cell phone program, the plan will cover the following free of charge:
- Unlimited texting
- 250 talking minutes per month (an additional 250 minutes can be purchased for 5 dollars)
- An additional 150 free talking minutes each month for the first 4 months
Eligibility for a free cell phone under Assurance Wireless is contingent on financial need. Your income must be no greater than 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Line or you must be participating in a government welfare program.
Budget Mobile is a cell phone service provider that offers both free and affordable mobile phone plans. To qualify, you must be participating in a financial need-based government assistance program.
Budget Mobile offers several plans:
- Free Plan:250 talking minutes and 250 texts per month
- 5 Dollar Plan:350 talking minutes and 1,000 texts per month
- 10 Dollar Plan:500 talking minutes and 2,000 texts per month
- 20 Dollar Plan:1,000 talking minutes and 4,000 texts per month
- 30 Dollar Plan:2,000 talking minutes and 6,000 texts per month
If you are participating in Lifeline Assistance in Texas, you may be eligible for enTouch Wireless, a free cell phone provider.
The following are included in an enTouch Wireless free mobile phone plan:
- A free mobile phone
- 250 talking minutes and/or texts
- Long distance calls (domestic only)
Life Wireless is a free cell phone provider that serves some regions of the United States, including Texas. To be qualified for a free cell phone plan in Texas under Life Wireless, your household income must be 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Line or lower. You may also be eligible if you are enrolled in a government financial assistance program.
Life Wireless has 2 cell phone plans available in Texas:
- 500 Minute Plan:Each month, 500 minutes are given. Sending and receiving text messages count for 1/3 of a minute each. Minutes cannot rollover.
- 125 Minute Plan:Each month, 125 minutes are given. Sending and receiving text messages count for 1/3 of a minute each. Rollover minutes are allowed.
For all plans, Life Wireless provides the following, free of charge:
- A free Life Wireless cell phone (an unlocked GSM phone may also be used)
- Free voicemail, Caller ID, 3-Way Calls, and Call Forwarding
- Long Distance Calls (domestic long distance is free, but international calls are available for a fee)
Q Link Wireless
Q Link Wireless is a free cell phone service provider that has the distinguishing feature of allowing several upgrades for a discounted fee. You must be enrolled in Lifeline Assistance to qualify for this plan.
Q Link provides the following plans free of charge:
- Best Value Plan:125 free minutes each month (rollover minutes allowed)
- Talk More Plan:250 free minutes each month
- Text More Plan:68 free minutes each month (rollover minutes and long distance International calling allowed)
SafeLink Wireless is one of the most established free cell phone service providers in the United States. You are eligible for SafeLink Wireless if you are enrolled in the Lifeline Assistance program.
SafeLink Wireless provides the following, free of charge:
- Free mobile phone
- 350 minutes per month
- Unlimited texting
StandUp Wireless offers free mobile phone service to Texas residents on the basis of financial need.
StandUp Wireless is a basic cell phone plan that offers:
- A free cell phone
- 100 minutes (rollover minutes allowed)
- 100 text messages
- Caller ID
- Call Waiting
- Long distance (domestic calls are free, International calls require a fee)
Tag Mobile is a small company that provides free cell phone service to select states, including Texas. Tag Mobile may be obtained if your household income is below 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Line or if you are receiving government subsidized benefits based on financial need.
Tag Mobile offers 500 minutes and unlimited International texting.
TerraCom Wireless provides free mobile phone services to 9 states, including Texas. Eligibility for this program requires participation in a Federal Assistance program or income that falls below 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Line.
Only the Lifeline Plan 250 is available through TerraCom Wireless in Texas. This plan provides 250 free minutes per month. Receiving and sending texts account for 1 minute each.
TruConnect serves only Texas and California with free mobile phone services. To be eligible for TruConnect, you must be enrolled in a Federal Assistance program or have an income that is less than 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Line.
In Texas, TruConnect provides 300 minutes and unlimited texts for free.
True Wireless provides free cell phone service on the basis of financial need. To establish financial need, you must be participating in a government financial assistance program or have an income that is less that 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Line.
In Texas, customers will receive the following services from TruConnect for free:
- A free camera phone
- 500 minutes (each text message account for 1/3 of a minute)
- 50 MB of data
What Is Texas Unemployment Insurance?
In the state of Texas, unemployment insurance is a type of government compensation that can be obtained by newly unemployed workers who require financial assistance while they purse new work opportunities. These unemployment benefits are available to eligible individuals for a pre-determined period and help them cover rent, food and other necessary expenses. To find out more about unemployment insurance and how you can start receiving government compensation today, download our guide.
Can Everyone Get Unemployment Benefits in Texas?
Unemployment insurance is only available to qualified individuals in Texas. Applicants must have an acceptable reason for being out of work, they must meet past income thresholds and more. Find out if you qualify to receive unemployment compensation in Texas by downloading our comprehensive guide here.